As Oral Arguments on Texas v. U.S. begin, Chris Carr & Georgia Republicans Join Dangerous Trump Lawsuit to Overturn ACA
ATLANTA – This afternoon, the healthcare of tens of millions of Americans is on the line, as Donald Trump and Republicans across the country, including Georgia Republican Attorney General Chris Carr, make their attempt to repeal the entire Affordable Care Act in the U.S. Court of Appeals.
After repeatedly failing to repeal and replace the American healthcare system through Congress, Republicans are trying to overturn the ACA in federal court without proposing any replacement – which means that millions of Americans, including over 1 million Georgians, would lose coverage, face higher drug prices, and lose protections for pre-existing conditions.
“Attorney General Carr and Georgia Republicans’ support of Texas v. U.S. represents yet another dangerous and reckless attempt to gut American healthcare and put politics over people’s lives,” said Maggie Chambers, spokeswoman for the Democratic Party of Georgia.“Georgians across our state depend on the Affordable Care Act to afford prescription drug prices, to keep rural hospitals open, and to receive the vital care they need. This lawsuit threatens to raise healthcare costs, cut access to care, and end protections for pre-existing conditions. Republicans have shown their hand: we can’t trust them to protect American healthcare, because they never will.”
This isn’t the first time Georgia Republicans have put Georgians’ healthcare at risk: Brian Kemp’s healthcare “plan” fails to fully expand Medicaid to Georgians in need, and in fact would likely be invalidated if the ACA was overturned.
What’s On The Line Without The ACA:
- Protections for as many as 133 million Americans with preexisting conditions, including over 4.3 million Georgians.
- Healthcare coverage of over 21 million Americans, including over 1 million Georgians who would drop or lose their health insurance.
- Over 5 million seniors would have to pay more for prescription drugs.
- Financial assistance that helped over 400,000 Georgians purchase healthcare in the marketplace.
- Key support for rural hospitals whose costs will only increase as Americans lose coverage.
Georgia Democrats are committed to protecting and expanding health care for all, and will continue to fight any Republican attempts to sabotage Americans’ access to care.